RIMS, the risk management society, announced on Tuesday that Nowell R. Seaman will lead the society as its 63rd president for the 2017 term, which became effective Jan. 1.
Seaman, RIMS-CRMP, FCIP, CRM, has been a member of RIMS for 21 years and on its board of directors for nine years, the society said in a press release. He is currently the director of global risk management for Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc.
Previously, Seaman served as RIMS’ vice president. He also served as the chair of the RIMS Canada Council from 2003 to 2005, a director of the RIMS Saskatchewan chapter from 1997 to 2007 and chaired the secretariat responsible for the creation of the William H. McGannon Foundation.
“The narrative is changing,” Seaman said in the release. “More organizations are recognizing the positive side of risk. They are witnessing the power of risk management and its ability to identify new resources, new processes and new strategies that can take the organization to new heights. As president, it is my goal to ensure that the society’s momentum continues forward and that, together, our global network is prepared for whatever may come next.”
Officers on RIMS 2017 board of directors:
- President: Nowell R. Seaman, RIMS-CRMP, FCIP, CRM; director, global risk management, Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc.
- Vice president: Robert Cartwright, Jr., CRM; safety and health Manager, Bridgestone Retail Operations, LLC.
- Treasurer: Steve Pottle, CIP, CRM; director, risk management services, York University.
- Secretary: Gloria Brosius; corporate risk manager, Pinnacle Agriculture Holdings.
New board members:
- Ellen R. Dunkin, Esq.; senior vice president, general counsel and chief risk officer, Amalgamated Life Insurance Company.
- Soubhagya Parija; senior vice president and chief risk officer, New York Power Authority.
Incumbent Board Members:
- Gordon L. Adams; risk management, SERVCO Pacific.
- Emily Cummins, CPA, CPCU, CISSP, ARM, ARE; managing director of tax and risk Management, National Rifle Association.
- Barry Dillard; director, claims management, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts US.
- Laura Langone, JD, MBA; senior director, global risk management and insurance, PayPal, Inc. Holdings.
- Ex Officio: Julie C. Pemberton, RIMS-CRMP, ARM; vice president, risk management, Diatom Ventures LLC.
- Janet Stein; director, risk management and insurance, University of Calgary.
- Robert Zhang; China risk and compliance manager, IKEA (China) Investment Co., Ltd.