Inswire Logo

Feature Stories and Daily News from Canadian Underwriter

Over 100 missing, 14 dead as strong quake rattles Taiwan

TAINAN, Taiwan - Rescuers were searching late Saturday for more than 100 people still missing after a powerful, shallow earthquake struck southern Taiwan before dawn, causing a high-rise residential building to collapse and killing at least 14...
Feb 6, 2016


Alberta offers rebates to municipalities, farms that set up solar power

EDMONTON - The Alberta government is adding another plank to its climate-change platform by providing more than $5.5 million to help farms and municipalities install solar panels.
Feb 5, 2016


Flood losses from U.K. storms Eva and Frank estimated at 526 million pounds

PERILS AG has said that the initial estimate of the insured property market loss for the flood damage related to storms Eva and Frank in the United Kingdom is 526 million pounds.
Feb 5, 2016


Allstate Corporation property-liability combined ratio up 2 points in Q4 2015

Northbrook, Ill.-based Allstate Corporation has reported a 2% increase in its property-liability combined ratio, from 90% for the three months ending Dec. 31, 2014 to 92% for the three months ending Dec. 31, 2015. For full-year 2015, the...
Feb 5, 2016


Number of wearable devices to increase 18.4% in 2016 from last year: Gartner

Gartner Inc., an information technology research and advisory company based in Stamford, Conn., predicts that the number of wearable electronic devices sold worldwide will increase 18.4% in 2016 from last year.
Feb 5, 2016


Currency fluctuation contributes to 3% revenue drop at Aon

Commercial insurance brokerage Aon plc reported its revenue from risk solutions dropped 5%, from $7.834 billion in 2014 to $7.426 billion in 2015. All figures are in United States dollars.
Feb 5, 2016


Revenue for Marsh's U.S./Canada division increases to US$768 million in Q4 2015, from US$711 million in Q4 2014

Revenue for Marsh & McLennan Companies’ U.S./Canada division increased to US$768 million for the three months ending Dec. 31, 2015, up from US$711 million in Q4 2014, the company said in its full-year and Q4 2015 financial results,...
Feb 5, 2016


Kingsway Financial Services Inc. records loss for 2015 Q4 compared to 2014 Q4, but posts US$1.3 million net income for 2015

Toronto-based Kingsway Financial Services Inc. posted net income of about US$1.3 million for 2015 compared to a loss of US$11.2 million for 2014, offering what senior executives regard as positive indicators for the company’s long-term...
Feb 5, 2016


Automakers to recall 5M vehicles for another air bag problem

DETROIT - Another problem has developed with automotive air bags, this one resulting in recalls of up to 5 million vehicles worldwide.
Feb 4, 2016


CatIQ conference speakers discuss 'cyber cats,' Lac-Mégantic response

A malicious computer program reported to have interfered with uranium enrichment in Iran was a "game changer" in cyber security, but there is no historical data that actuaries could use to assess potential losses arising from “cyber...
Feb 4, 2016


>> More News