Alberta law enforcement officers were out in full force over the August long weekend, issuing a total of 5,140 tickets between Aug. 3 and Aug 6.
RCMP officers, provincial traffic sheriffs, conservation officers, fish and wildlife officers and commercial vehicle enforcement officers conducted checkstops on and off major highways throughout the province.
In total, they issued:
• 35 impaired driving charges.
• 202 other alcohol-related violations.
• 29 alcohol or drug 24-hour suspensions.
• 3,556 speeding violations.
• 38 distracted driving violations.
• 55 intersection-related infractions.
• 43 hazardous violations, including dangerous driving.
• 210 seatbelt or child restraint infractions.
• 666 violations ranging from having no insurance to driving while suspended.