Since the development of Building and Fire Codes in Canada, the risks associated with fatal fires have significantly reduced. However, one of the most serious outliers in terms of fire fatalities, loss, and injury is the emergence of the disorder known as Hoarding.
Hoarding isn’t new but it is a causal link in many preventable high loss/fatal fires. An estimated 3-6% of the population suffers from the disorder known as Obsessive Compulsive Hoarding. Although Hoarding is only responsible for a small percentage of fires (0.25%), when fires do occur, it is attributable to a disproportionate number (24%) of fatal, high loss fires. In this session, you will learn what can be done to tackle this complex disorder and prevent these occurrences.
• Examine Hoarding and its causes
• Discuss the complexities of Hoarding and its financial impact on the community
• Explain how harm reduction strategies for Hoarding help to prevent fires and loss of life and property
• Review potential solutions and the ongoing work being done to reduce the hazard of Hoarding
• Explore case studies
• Learn about the challenges faced when fires occur in Hoarding situations including: Risk Assessment, Scene Stabilization, Material Removal, Hazardous Materials (Hazmat) & Biological Hazards (Biohazards)
Scott Melville, IAAI-CFI©, CFEI, CVFI, CCFI-C, CFII, Owner, Principle Fire Investigator – Triple Sevens Fire Consulting Inc.
Randy Thoen, Fire Investigator, Fire Code Consultant – Triple Sevens Fire Consulting Inc.
Date and Time: October 23, 2019 1:00pm – 4:15pm PST
Number of Continuing Education Credits: 3 Technical
Registration Deadline: Friday, October 18, 2019
Fees: The price for this seminar includes coffee service, light breakfast snacks and GST.
$125 IIBC Members
+$80 Non-Members – IIBC Membership Fee of $80 (expiring May 31, 2020) is applicable. Please register manually.
Corporate Rate: $115 per attendee for corporate groups of 6 or more (membership is additional for non-members). To register with a corporate rate, please contact Donna in advance at email@example.com .
Contact Donna Salahor at firstname.lastname@example.org .