January 9, 2014 by THE CANADIAN PRESS
TORONTO – Toronto’s city manager is recommending that city council ask the provincial and federal governments for financial assistance to help pay for damage caused by two storms in 2013.
A report to Toronto council on Wednesday says last month’s ice storm and flooding in July 2013 will cost the city in excess of $171 million.
It suggests council request that the municipal affairs minister declare Toronto a “disaster area” in an effort to get relief due to the estimated $106 million in costs from last month’s ice storm.
As a result of the winter storm, more than 300,000 Toronto Hydro customers were without power, and there was extensive damage to infrastructure and trees in the city.
Costs resulting from the July 8 rain storm that inundated parts of the Toronto area are estimated at $65.2 million.
The report recommends Toronto also request additional provincial and federal disaster assistance for the city and Toronto Hydro through any current relevant programs.
And it says the city should call on the provincial and federal governments to develop new programs for future disaster mitigation including urban flooding, winter storms and erosion control that “reflect the reality of our changing climate.”